Land Charges

If you are a potential buyer of a property in or around Tunbridge Wells as part of the conveyancing process a search against that property is conducted to uncover any restrictions or legal obligations on the building(s) or plot of land.

A local search will reveal information relating to planning, road adoption and other vital information for house buyers.

A search is conducted against the 'Register of Local Land Charges'.

Searches can be requested by you, or more usually, through your Solicitor.

There are two types of search:

  • An official local land charge search usually comprises two elements - a LLC1 Form and a CON29 form
  • A personal search consists of an unofficial copy of entries on the land charges register

It is recommended that an official search is carried out to ensure you receive the complete information.

Land Charges Team

On 2 June 2014 the Land Charges teams at Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone and Swale came together and formed Mid Kent Local Land Charges.

The service is based at Maidstone House.

New Aligned Fees

The Service has been running for three years now so we thought it was time we reviewed how we charge from 1 April 2018 there will be one set of fees across the partnership.

Doing this will allow us to provide an ever better service, especially for those who operate across borough boundaries. Please see the fees tab for more information.

Fee Changes and VAT

On the 4 July 2016, our fees increased. The new fees can be seen on our fees pages.

It has been announced by HMRC that VAT on CON29 search fees will be imposed from 6 April 2017.

Search Submissions

From 12 October 2016, full searches can be emailed to us at

You'll need to make payment at the same time.

New Forms

On 4 July 2016 new LLC1 and CON29 forms were published. You can buy them from OYEZ. The CON29 form includes some additional questions about things like the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and assets of community value. All searches must be submitted on the new forms or they will be returned.

Online Portal

We're currently building a new portal for people to submit, pay and receive searches online. This should be up and running in 2017.

Official searches are made up of an LLC1 and a CON29 form.

The LLC1

This form asks for information held on our local land charges register about a property. This includes anything about tree preservation orders, planning decisions etc. This information is guaranteed by us.

The CON29

This is a list of 16 set and 18 optional questions about:

  • Building regulations
  • Common land
  • Contaminated land
  • Infringements
  • Nearby road and traffic schemes
  • Outstanding notices
  • Property history
  • Public rights of way


Apply online

You can apply online using the TM Search Choice or National Land Information Service website.

Apply by post

To apply you'll need to:

  • Complete one copy of the LLC1 and CON29 forms
  • Write a cheque payable to Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
  • Give us an accurate address of the property or land being searched
  • Produce a plan showing the property or land clearly edged in red

And send them to:

Local Land Charges
Maidstone House
King Street
ME15 6JQ

Or DX 4819 Maidstone

How long will it take

We aim to complete official searches within five working days.

Personal searches of our local land charges register are free, but aren't guaranteed by us.

You can also ask for answers to the CON29 questions at the same time, however some of them are chargeable.

Personal searches requests can be made via email, with a plan clearly outlining the search area.

Official Search Fees as of 1 April 2018

ProductVatable Price ex. VAT Price inc. VAT
LLC1 only No £35 £35
LLC1 only - additional parcel No £10 £10
Con29 Yes £95 £114
Con29 - additional parcel Yes £15 £18
Standard search (LLC1 & Con29) Yes £130 £149
Standard search (LLC1 & Con29) - additional parcel Yes £25 £28
Part II enquiry - CON29O questions 4 -21 Yes £10 £12
Part II enquiry - CON29O question 22 Yes £24 £28.80
Additional questions Yes £18.33 £22

Personal Search CON29 Fees as of 1 April 2018

Question numberDescription Price inc. VAT
1.1 (A-I) Planning decisions and applications £6
1.1 (J-L) Building control decisions £6
1.2 Planning Policy Self-Serve
2.1 Adopted Highways Self-Serve
2.1 (B-D) Roads £6
3.1 Land required for public purpose £3
3.2 Land for road works Self-Serve
3.3 Drainage matters £3
3.4 (B-D) Road schemes Self-Serve
3.5 Railway schemes £3
3.6 (A-I) Traffic schemes Self-Serve
3.7 Outstanding notices £12
3.8 Contravention of building regulations £3
3.9 Notices, orders under planning acts £6
3.10 Community Infrastructure Levy £3
3.11 Conservation area Self-Serve
3.11B Conservation area Self-Serve
3.12 Compulsory purchase £3
3.13A Contaminated land Free
3.13B Contaminated land £3
3.13C Contaminated land £3
3.14 Radon gas Public Health England
3.15 Assets of Community Value Self-Serve

What's a Local Land Charge?

What's the Local Land Charges Register?

Who carries out a Local Land Charge search?

What's a full search?

What's the CON29R form?

What forms do I need to use?

Can I ask any other questions?

Can I cancel my search after I've sent it?

Can you expedite my search?

How will I get my search?

What's a personal search?

How do I find out who owns a property or piece of land?

What if I have a complaint?

How do I get copies of documents revealed in my search?

< previous next >
A - Z of council services